Colbert County was created by the Alabama legislature on 1867 Feb. 6, from part of Franklin County. It was abolished by the Constitutional Convention on 1867 Nov. 29, and re-established by the legislature on 1869 Dec. 9. It was named after George and Levi Colbert, noted Chickasaw chiefs, who resided in the county. Colbert County is located in the northwestern part of the state. It currently encompasses 589 square miles. It is bordered on the north by the Tennessee River and Lauderdale County, on the east by Lawrence County, on the south by Franklin County, and on the west by the State of Mississippi. An election in 1870 established the county seat at Tuscumbia. Other towns and communities include Cherokee, Sheffield, Leighton, and Muscle Shoals.Read more: COLBERT COUNTY
Since the incorporation of Muscle Shoals in 1923, this city has become known as the fastest growing city in northwest Alabama with a population of over 11,924. Located in the eastern portion of Colbert County, Muscle Shoals is also known as “The Shoals,” along with the cities of Sheffield, Tuscumbia, and Florence. The city of Muscle Shoals is approximately 30 miles south of Tennessee and approximately 20 miles east of Mississippi. The rapidly developing city covers 12 square miles and still has cotton fields within the city limits. Muscle Shoals also touches the banks of the Tennessee River. The Tennessee River is a source of the rich history of Muscle ShoalsRead more: CITY OF MUSCLE SHOALS
In 1815, General Andrew Jackson and his troops following the Military Road crossed the Tennessee River at what is now know as Sheffield. The exact crossing site is still called Jackson Hollow today. Two years later, in 1817 General Jackson and his troops returned to this area and camped on the bluff above the river. Around the campfire Jackson and his fellow officers decided that no other site was so promising for a township as the one where they were camping. A few months later Jackson officially recommended the site where the Military Road crossed for the establishment of a town. The United States Secretary of War laid off a town precisely at that point and called it York Bluff. At eh United States Land Sales in 1818, Jackson himself purchased quite a bit of land. By 1885, the area was incorporated as Sheffield, Alabama.Read more: CITY OF SHEFFIELD
Nested near a bountiful big spring in the beautiful foothills of the Appalachian Mountains can be found the city of Tuscumbia, Alabama. The French first settled the area near the Tennessee River in the 1700's only to have their town destroyed in 1786. The Chickasaw Indians moved here next building their town near the spring. They were soon followed by the Michael Dickson Family circa 1815.
Read more: CITY OF TUSCUMBIA
The Muscle Shoals area and Colbert County are less than a day’s drive from anywhere in the mid-South!
Birmingham is only 95 miles southeast via I-65; Memphis is approximately 125 miles to the west via U. S. Hwy 72; Nashville is 100 miles to the north via the Natchez Trace Parkway; and Atlanta is only 200 miles to the east.